This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Inherited Property with Sitting Tennants

Dedcon
Inherited Property with Sitting Tennants

Postby Dedcon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:19 am

I inherited a property from my father in 1988. It had sitting Tennants who refused to enter into a tenancy agreement with me and they've lived there ever since paying a peppercorn rent. As they were old and didn't have much money, I decided to let them live there in peace. They've recently died and I now want to sell the property. Am I liable for CTG bearing in mind I have had no opportunity to live there or sell the place at market value? If I am, how do I find out the value of it when my father died? I have no idea and it is not on the paperwork I have. Thank you

pawncob

Re: Inherited Property with Sitting Tennants

Postby pawncob » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:21 am

Yes you're liable to CGT.

If there's no probate value you'll have to ask a local valuer to provide an opinion of value at the date of death. This may need to be negotiated with the D.V. at a later date when the CGT comp is submitted.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Dedcon

Postby Dedcon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:08 pm

Thank you pawn cob. I was under the impression that because the house was left with tenants who I could not get rid of or put up their rent to any degree even after taking them to a rent tribunal, that the CTG would only apply from the date they vacated until the date of sale. Had we been able to, we'd have moved there years ago as they paid £36 a week, while we struggled with a huge mortgage.

From what your saying, do I have to pay CTG from date of death until date of sale?

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:26 pm

Yes, the value in 1988 is required, if not already done for Probate.

It is likely to be relatively low with sitting tenants.

Dedcon

Postby Dedcon » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:27 pm

I'm grateful for the replies, even if it wasn't really the answer I wanted.
I've found that the property was worth £85000 when I inherited it in 1986. It's in my wife and my names and it's now valued at £300000. Do you have any idea how much the CGT would be and as it will be a lot, how I can mitigate it. We've never lived in it and it needs lots of updating.

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:05 pm

The maximum Gain is £215,000.

The maximum CGT is £60,200.

I would recommend that you and your obtain professional advice suitable to your specific circumstances.

Dedcon

Postby Dedcon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:08 am

Thanks King_Maker

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”