This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Income Losses to offset against capital gains

Deilden
Income Losses to offset against capital gains

Postby Deilden » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:57 am

Hi I have overlap relief to carry forward in my very small business which is greater than my profit for the 2014/15 tax year. I have made a capital gain from the sale of an investment property. Am I able to use my overlap relief which would incur a business loss to offset any of the capital gain. If so where on the tax return to make this claim?

bd6759

Re: Income Losses to offset against capital gains

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:54 pm

No. Overlap relief is used when the business ceases or when you change the accounting date.

In any event, a tradings loss cannot be set against a capital gain.

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:49 am

No. Overlap relief is used when the business ceases or when you change the accounting date.

In any event, a tradings loss cannot be set against a capital gain.
While I agree with your first statement, I do not agree with the second.

Section 261B TCGA 1992 permits a trading Loss to be set against a Capital Gain(s).

Deilden

Postby Deilden » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:25 pm

Hi again. I have changed my year end to 05.04.2015 so that I could potentially use the overlap relief. My income is now so small that I do not use up my personal allowance and so had hoped to offset the overlap relief against the capital gain. King Maker states that under Section 261B TCGA 1992 I can offset my business loss against the gain. Where on the online tax return would I make this claim please.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:27 pm

Of course i does. Senior moment.

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi again. I have changed my year end to 05.04.2015 so that I could potentially use the overlap relief. My income is now so small that I do not use up my personal allowance and so had hoped to offset the overlap relief against the capital gain. King Maker states that under Section 261B TCGA 1992 I can offset my business loss against the gain. Where on the online tax return would I make this claim please.
The Loss Claim can be made via Box 16 on the Capital Gains Summary pages.

Deilden

Postby Deilden » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:55 pm

Thankyou to King Maker. I have read and tried to understand the accompanying notes to the capital gains tax pages. My overlap relief is only £6,000. If I use this would I lose any of my annual CGT exemption of 11k? The notes seem to imply that you can only use amounts in excess of the 11K. Am I mis-understanding.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”