This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on gift of property

mark10
CGT on gift of property

Postby mark10 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi there, just hoping someone can give me a few quick pointers as all the information I read seems to say different things and I'm completely new to all this!

In short my mother and father need to get their house out of their name. Looking at the options gifting the property to me via land registry and changing the title seems the best way.

They bought the house for roughly £40,000 in 1983, have lived there ever since and the house is now worth £330,000, mortgage fully paid.

Assuming the form is sent and the house is now in my name, I would expect them live there for another 20 years until I would sell it.

Am I right in thinking:

a) They would pay no CGT as it has been their main home all of the time
b) When I come to sell it the CGT due would be the increase in value of the property.
e.g. 2015 £330k 2035 £400k = CGT due on £70k?

If I was to make the house my main residence and also live there then no CGT would be due on sale?

Thanks very much for any reply!

DCF

Re: CGT on gift of property

Postby DCF » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:19 pm

Am I right in thinking:

a) They would pay no CGT as it has been their main home all of the time YES
b) When I come to sell it the CGT due would be the increase in value of the property. YES
e.g. 2015 £330k 2035 £400k = CGT due on £70k?

If I was to make the house my main residence and also live there then no CGT would be due on sale? YES ALONG AS IT IS YOUR MAIN RESIDENCE THROUGHOUT YIUR PERIOD OF OWNERSHIP>

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:13 pm

With the correct paperwork, it could be possible that no CGT would be due on disposal of the property even if it was NOT your main residence. You would need to consult your solicitor.

However, such a transfer may not be effective to avoid care home fees if this is relevant.

mark10

Postby mark10 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:47 am

Thanks very much for the replies.

Looks like the CGT won't be that hugh if at all. Now to try and work out how to fill out the Land Registry forms to change the titles :lol:

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:42 am

Why do your parents want to gift the property out of their names. Regards Peter

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:24 pm

This: they NEED to get it out of their name.

Explain. Sounds like you or they are trying to avoid something, and until we know what that NEED is, sensible people won't advise on the situation.
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”