This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on disposal of Leasehold + Goodwill - entrepreneurial relief

SYR
CGT on disposal of Leasehold + Goodwill - entrepreneurial relief

Postby SYR » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:11 am

My client purchased a business (as a sole trader) in March 2005 and paid £30k for goodwill and £30k for leasehold.

In Jan 2011, he set up a limited company with his wife (50% 50%) and has been trading under the limited company. He retains leasehold and goodwill under his own name. The company pays rent to the landlord direct.

He has an offer of £100k (goodwill £80k, leasehold £20k) from a potential buyer who does not want to buy any shares of the company but to buy the leasehold and goodwill from my client. The buyer will set up a limited company himself. My client's company did have some health and safety issues a couple of years ago and the buyer does not want to take over any "potential liabilities".

Is my client entitled to Entrepreneur Relief since there is no disposal of shares?

LozaACCS

Re: CGT on disposal of Leasehold + Goodwill - entrepreneurial relief

Postby LozaACCS » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:34 pm

The inference is that since the company was formed, the trade has been carried out by it instead of your client as a sole trader, if so your client is not disposing of a business but merely assets used in a business conducted by someone else, so no ER would not be available.
It is not an associated disposal since the disposal of the assets is not associated with the disposal of a business conducted by your client.
The rent situation is odd, if the client has a lease on the property why is the company paying rent to the landlord.

SYR

Re: CGT on disposal of Leasehold + Goodwill - entrepreneurial relief

Postby SYR » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:26 am

Thanks Loza

Instead of the company paying my client, then my client paying to the landlord - my client decided it's easier for the company to pay rent direct to the landlord.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”