This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT at death

greenjersey
CGT at death

Postby greenjersey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:02 pm

In today's Sunday Telegraph Teresa Hunter writes "The crucial factor is that the CGT slate is wiped clean on death, and assets can be passed on to beneficiaries at their current market value" Is this really true? I have a BTL property with a capital gain of about £300,000 ( I bought it twenty five years ago). So if I leave it to my wife in my will and she then sells there is no CGT to pay? In the unlikely event that my wife pre-deceases me I can leave it to my daughters and again no CGT due? Good news if it's true!

pawncob

Re: CGT at death

Postby pawncob » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:19 am

Yes it's true. The asset is included in the estate at probate value, which may result in IHT payable.(If not left to spouse)
The base cost is upgraded to the probate valuation, so an immediate sale would result in no gain.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

lewgeorge

Postby lewgeorge » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi... although there would be no gain and so therefore no tax payable.. would you know if this needs to be reported on a tax return? thanks.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:38 pm

@lewgeorge
Yes, at the figures quoted.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

lewgeorge

Postby lewgeorge » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:41 pm

Hi thanks for your reply.. so to be reported on one form SA900 and SA905 or each of us via our own self assessment with capital gains supplementary page? thanks

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”