This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK taxation of stock options - international relocation

londonstock
UK taxation of stock options - international relocation

Postby londonstock » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:14 pm

Could anyone help with this please?

I joined a pre IPO US tech startup in London and received a stock options grant (4 years vest). I was a UK resident at the time and on a UK employment contract. I early exercised my entire stock grant shortly after joining. Unfortunately my s431 joint election wasn't signed on time (but it was signed). Is there an immediate tax liability only if a joint election has been filed? Or is the exercise also subject to taxation in the absence of a s431?

I have since moved countries halfway through my vesting period - I'm still vesting while not a UK resident. The company is still pre-IPO. Is the joint election (or lack of) still relevant as a non UK resident and will I need to aportion vested shares on a pro-rated basis between the two countries when the stock becomes liquid (presumably CGT in both countries)?

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”