This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on sale of residence abroad

BritExpat
CGT on sale of residence abroad

Postby BritExpat » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:34 pm

I am a British expat working abroad full-time for the last five years. I have a house in the UK which is occupied by my wife and children, all UK residents. I also have a house abroad (not in the country where I work) which is jointly owned by me and my elderly unemployed dependent father who resides with me and has also been away from the UK for the same duration as me. He has no other house and will stay with us on return to the UK.

We both intend to return permanently to the UK after expiry of my contract of employment in Sep 2016 and wish to sell our house abroad before returning. What are the CGT implications for each of us? Where do we stand in terms of statutory residence test / sufficient ties. If we sell it after my return, but before Apr 2017, what is the impact?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”