This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Gain Tax for Non Residents

excess
Capital Gain Tax for Non Residents

Postby excess » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:45 pm

I am a British National and have been working as an expatriate since 1989. Thus have been a non-resident for tax purpose since 1989. I have a few properties in UK in addition to my primary house. These properties were bought after 1994 and are let.
I understand that the rules on "capital gains tax" has changed for "non-residents". Earlier, the rule was that if you sell a property while being a "non resident", capital gains tax does not apply. Now this has changed and that it is applicable for "non-resident" too.

Based on this new rule, I understand that if I sell a property now (while I am a "non-resident") tax will apply on the capital gain from April 2015.

1. However if I become a resident in UK again and sell this property, will I have to pay tax on the complete gain?

2. If I become a resident again next year and then become an expat and become a non resident, and then sell a property will I be allowed to sell and pay tax only on the gain from April 2015?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”