This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

how can we minimise CGT on gift to son?

JOHNRE
how can we minimise CGT on gift to son?

Postby JOHNRE » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:46 am

In 2014 we bought an apartment in my wife's name. (She is a non-taxpayer). For the past 2 years our son has lived there, rent-free. We are looking to sell the place in about 6 years time and are looking for advice on how to minimise CGT at the point of sale. We are more than happy to gift a share of the property to the son, possibly even all of it over a period of time. My wife is also happy to gift me a share if this reduces CGT. Are we right in thinking that, if for example, she gifted him a 50% share right now, he would not be liable for the increase in value of his share in the next 6 years because it would have been his Principal Private Residence in that time?

Any advice on what best to do, and the potential timescales, would be most appreciated!

John

Peter D

Re: how can we minimise CGT on gift to son?

Postby Peter D » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:56 am

What gain has the property made since you purchased it. ? Regards Peter

JOHNRE

Re: how can we minimise CGT on gift to son?

Postby JOHNRE » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:09 pm

Peter, thanks for your reply. The flat was bought for £242K in April 2014 and is probably worth £255K now,,,,,,,

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”