This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

NRCGT return

etf
Re: NRCGT return

Postby etf » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:02 am

A quote below from HMRC's Giles McCallum on the introduction of MTD for income tax:
“But digital record keeping is the way forward. Sticking your receipts on a spike and dealing with them at the end of the year is not the way things are going. We have got to make that change. It is happening. But I agree it is about the taxpayer.”

And a quote below from HMRC's FOI Team about their new reporting system:
We can confirm we hold individual-level information on the timing of tax return submissions and any late returns penalties levied. However, aggregate level information on all penalties relating to returns submitted via the system for reporting Capital Gains Tax (CGT)-liable residential property disposals is not produced; and it would exceed the FOIA cost limit to provide this information.

I can see an advantage in the spike philosophy as it does allow you to quantify what you have done. I've written back to the FOI bods just to double check their reporting system is as rubbish as first claimed.

etf

Postby etf » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:07 am

Successful NRCGT appeals .....3% success to 99% success.

HMRC response....no Taxpayer Charter rules have been broken. We've treated everyone fairly.

Allegra Stratton following her demotion to the FOI team.....what is the answer, this is difficult?

Jim Harra...just advise that HMRC are no longer able to provide any quarterly statistics to the public and our brand new reporting system is unable to capture information on the millions of late filing penalties that we have collected. Strokes cat on lap.

More cheese and wine Allegra?

etf

Postby etf » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:30 pm

The claim that they do not aggregate such data is not credible. I simply do not believe that they have installed a system within the last few years, that does not do this automatically.

Lambs, the Freedom of Information team must have forwarded my email questioning their earlier response to the following team who responded as below:

Information Rights Unit | Solicitor's Office and Legal Services
HMRC | 8th Floor | Stratford RC | 14 Westfield Avenue | London | E20 1HZ

We can confirm that the position as regards CGT on UK Property Account penalties is as set out in our updated response issued on 4 November.

Like you I find it unbelievable (in my best Victor Meldrew voice) that this is true and I find Boris to be more credible. Why did they need to send it to a different team to reply if what they originally stated is true?

If they don't know the aggregate number of penalties issued and the revenue they have generated, what is to stop someone syphoning off a few £100K to cover an overspend on decorating? Under their system of non-accounting nobody would ever know.

To quote Haircut 100 from the early 80s 'where do we go from here, is it down to the end of the pier?'

etf

Postby etf » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:17 am

Boris and his parties.....break the rules.....lie.....attempt to cover it up.

HMRC and NRCGT filings....ditto all of the above.

Remember they are the department who allowed 3% of late filing penalty appeals in one quarter, 99% in another and yet continue to claim they are treating taxpayers even-handedly. And when these statistics became embarrassing they resorted to denying freedom of information requests as though I was requesting the names and addresses of all UK spies rather than the number of NRCGT returns filed late etc.

The police are now investigating Boris and his lockdown parties. Hopefully the tax police will at least ask HMRC to respond to the above allegations.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:02 pm

Who polices HMRC?
Have you complained to her?
https://www.gov.uk/government/people/angela-macdonald
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

etf

Postby etf » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:46 pm

Thanks Pawncob. I may try that avenue once all 2020/21 tax returns have been filed. One would hope that senior people at HMRC would wish to abide by their own rules and police themselves but all I have seen is Boris behaviour, viz refusing Freedom of Information requests that initially were answered in routine fashion until the figures clearly stunk too much.

My previous correspondence on this matter has included my professional body and Jon Thompson. One would hope that professional bodies once they become aware of alleged rule breaking would at least ask questions of HMRC. The old regime who were copied in appeared very interested in taking HMRC to task but the current regime, for reasons unknown, have to the best of my knowledge not acted in a positive manner. If a variance of 3% to 99% successful appeals does not raise eyebrows nothing will.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”