This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

NRCGT return

etf
Re: NRCGT return

Postby etf » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:36 am

Sorry...amnesty

etf

Postby etf » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:36 pm

Another satisfied customer posting about the NRCGT filing system on HMRC's forum :oops: :

Posted a day ago by bronamcd

I am trying to make the necessary declarations for a client via this service but find that the client is unable to set up a CGT on UK property account because her ID can't be verified because she has no UK address!!
Has anyone else had this problem?
How is it possible that a system is set up for non-residents to declare tax that doesn't allow them to use the system if they don't live in the UK?

Posted about 6 hours ago by HMRC Admin 4

Hi,

They shouldn't have to follow the full verification process as a non resident. Plese ensure you ar using the link from this page on gov.uk

Tell HMRC about Capital Gains Tax on UK property or land if you’re non-resident

Posted about 2 hours ago by bronamcd

I am following the correct link and it when you go through the process you have to choose between two options for verification, both of which require a UK address. Clearly, they shouldn't have to follow the full verification process but my problem is that they do have to.

etf

Postby etf » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:27 pm

Perhaps HMRC should run adverts with the following strapline:

'Shortening the lives of tax advisers and taxpayers since 1799'.

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:47 pm

Shortening the tempers, maybe.

VB,

Lambs

etf

Postby etf » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:53 pm

Lambs-I'll stick with my original strapline-see feedback from frustrated Joe Public below (got to be worth a knighthood for introducing this system):

Posted 15 days ago by Beverley Gee

I wonder how many more of us are experiencing this? I have wasted hours and hours trying to verify my ID. I found out I could do it through Barclays and then discovered they stopped on May 20th. I have talked to advisers, interacted with the Helpdesk, written letters, tried the Post Office and Digidentity all to no avail. I've lived here for 19 years but because my phone contract is not with Three or O2, because I only have one debit card and no passport, apparently I don't exist.

I will continue sending my Tax Return on a paper form because I have no other option.

The irony is that I used to help my accountant step-father submit his clients' returns for years. Probably hundreds of them. Yet I am unable to do my own. And it all began with a change of mobile phone number.

The system is not working, HMRC. Time to fix it. Do it the easy way - send me a letter.

Beverley Gee

I have to agree that Verify thing is the worst system that I have ever experienced and you are certaily not alone.
If anything was ever designed to be anti-Self Assessment user, then this is it.
The good news is that you do exist for the purpose of paying tax, but as for encouraging people to go online, paperless, it has failed dismally.
Complain to your MP.
Out there somewhere is the perfect person that manages to get though Gov Verify in 24-hours, gets no hassle and wonders what all the fuss is about.
It would be easier if you had some form and could use your fingerprint.
Unfortunately, with no local tax offices, you hit the full brick wall of Government nit-picking.
For what it's worth, all my troubles revolved around mobile phone contracts.
They asked me when I had last taken out a mobile phone contract.
Easy. I had taken out a SIM only contract with BT Mobile in November 2018. Not a pay as you go SIM from Tesco or whatever.
So BT Mobile in November 2018 was definitely the last contract and still is.
But not according to Gov Verify.
Every attempt to log in failed.
Eventually I managed to get the assistance of a Digital Complaints Manager who went through all the questions and what I was entering and was able to tell me where it was going wrong, but not what the right answer to the question.
So I had to start guessing - remember, they choose the questions, not you. If it something that happened in the dim and distant past, you could be in trouble. If your memory is starting to fade a bit, you can be in real trouble.
All I can suggest is persevere and try and get hold of someone who knows the workings of this system.
If I had had a tax office within reasonable distance, I would have camped out on their front door step until I did get an answer.
Individually, the HMRC manager and Experian were quite good - the trouble is they don't talk to each other, at least not at our level

etf

Postby etf » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:28 pm

To quote Jimmy Cricket 'and there's more':

No matter what I do I can never access gov. sites, I have never had credit and never had a passport so what's the point of asking a third party to identify me. I cared for my disabled mother, who also had vascular dementia for nigh on twenty years and had to forgo a lot of benefits she and I were entitled to because the system was so complicated. Now it is even worse, no matter what I try the system refuses to confirm my identity. If this was a private business they would be bankrupt in a week, so inefficient and a total waste of time trying to gain access. Even so called verify is too complicated, apparently I don't exist, unless the gov.uk wants something from me. So frustrating I have finally given up.

Shades of 'I am Daniel Blake here'.

Hello
Your experiences are not unique. Many complaints of this forum and indeed the reason I joined it, are down to this over-complex business of proving who you are.
Once you can get through this ridiculous process, you can enjoy, if that's the word, the advantages of accessing the digital tax and benefits system.
I had huge problems simply because I didn't have a current passport and had to go down the third party Experian route.
Part of the problem seems to be that HMRC in my case and Experian don't talk to each other - I daresay they do - and Experian just provide an ID checking service as they have access to all sorts of information like Electoral Roll and credit records.
You could try the Helpline appropriate to your case.
For Self Assessment, this proved to be a waste of time.
One thing that did work was to contact the digital complaints team and you might get an individual manager to assist you and eventually between us, we got the thing to work.
HMRC did pay out compensation for all the aggravation. Seeing that they aren't the most generous of people, gives you an idea of the time and expense wasted on this process.
Another thing you could try if you are lucky to be near a remaining tax office, is simply go and confront them.
Failing that, get your MP onto the case or Citizens Advice, but don't give up on it, you have a right to be able to use the system.
Just remind them of their TV advert "Tax doesn't have to be taxing"

etf

Postby etf » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:47 am

Taxpayers Charter-We’ll treat you even-handedly, with courtesy and respect. We’ll listen to your concerns and answer your questions clearly. According to HMRC's blurb this is a right.

Now please review the statistics obtained from a number of freedom of information requests below. The question to answer is, does it appear taxpayers have been treated even-handedly? Would you prefer to have lodged an appeal in the quarter ended 30 June 2018 when 3% of appeals were accepted, or the quarter ended 30 June 2019 when 96% of appeals were accepted? You do not need to be a rocket scientist to answer that one.

Period / Percentage of reviewed appeals accepted

Quarter ended 31 March 2020 94%
Quarter ended 31 December 2019 97%
Quarter ended 30 September 2019 96%
Quarter ended 30 June 2019 96%
Quarter ended 31 March 2019 97%
Quarter ended 31 December 2018 79%
Quarter ended 30 September 2018 6%
Quarter ended 30 June 2018 3%
Year ended 31 March 2018 16%
8 May 2016-31 March 2017 32%

I think the above statistics demonstrate that HMRC do not give a flying fruitbat about the content of the Taxpayers Charter. We now have a system where HMRC churn out late filing penalties and when challenged in nearly all cases agree that the penalties can be cancelled. There are people paid to ensure the Taxpayers Charter is followed. I suspect they have all been asleep for the last three years.

The truth is out there but unless tax journalists/professional bodies/the public make enough noise, in my opinion HMRC will continue to act like a tax felon. This presumably is why they have suggested the Taxpayers Charter removes the promise that was quoted at the start of this post, as close as we will get to an admission from HMRC that they do not treat taxpayers even-handedly.

The end?

etf

Postby etf » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:24 pm

"The only thing less well-publicised than the new residential property CGT disclosure regime is..."
The un-even handed treatment of NRCGT taxpayers by HMRC. There appears to be a conspiracy of silence from tax journalists surrounding the shocking statistics below which suggest some taxpayers have been treated unfairly (try telling the people in the green zone they were treated in the same way as those in the red zone):

Period / Percentage of reviewed appeals accepted.

Quarter ended 31 March 2020 94%
Quarter ended 31 December 2019 97%
Quarter ended 30 September 2019 96%
Quarter ended 30 June 2019 96%
Quarter ended 31 March 2019 97%
Quarter ended 31 December 2018 79%

Quarter ended 30 September 2018 6%
Quarter ended 30 June 2018 3%
Year ended 31 March 2018 16%
8 May 2016-31 March 2017 32%

Lambs, as you sometimes act as conduit, are you able to speak with the tax journalists and report back as to why they are snubbing this story? HMRC's performance above looks more shocking than the exam algorithm which was headline news.

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:56 pm

Conduit? Is that what I am..?

;)

etf

Postby etf » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:12 pm

Conduit? Is that what I am..?

Usually a very effective one too. Someone willing to communicate with the working class oiks on Taxationweb :)

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”