This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital gains on buy out from ex girlfriend

Dutton123
Capital gains on buy out from ex girlfriend

Postby Dutton123 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi every one .

I have a bit of a unique situation , so I will post it ,hoping some one can help me out

Thanks in anticipation

I bought a house with my ex girlfriend , about 15 years ago and this was a joint mortgage .

Unfortunately we split up about 8/9 years ago , where upon splitting up I moved out of the house and began renting her brothers house .

Renting was the only option at the time ,because she didn't have the funds to buy me out and I didn't have the funds to put a deposit down .

Recently , her brother has come into some money from a split with his ex and he is going to give me £20k , on her behalf ,as his sisters buy out to me . She will give him the money back ,when their mums house sells later this year and from her half she will give him It back .

I still have my name on the mortgage which I can't get off , I'm not paying for the mortage and never have since we split up and get house hasn't been sold .

My Question is this .

Will I have to pay capital gains tax on the £20 from her brother transferring the money to me on her behalf ,or ,will I be ok .

I've read a few bits about a 18 month clause where I have been out of this house and would have to pay , but also seen items regarding my main residency.

Many thanks

Dutton123

Re: Capital gains on buy out from ex girlfriend

Postby Dutton123 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi every one .

I have a bit of a unique situation , so I will post it ,hoping some one can help me out

Thanks in anticipation

I bought a house with my ex girlfriend , about 15 years ago and this was a joint mortgage .

Unfortunately we split up about 8/9 years ago , where upon splitting up I moved out of the house and began renting her brothers house .

Renting was the only option at the time ,because she didn't have the funds to buy me out and I didn't have the funds to put a deposit down .

Recently , her brother has come into some money from a split with his ex and he is going to give me £20k , on her behalf ,as his sisters buy out to me . She will give him the money back ,when their mums house sells later this year and from her half she will give him It back .

I still have my name on the mortgage which I can't get off , I'm not paying for the mortage and never have since we split up and the house hasn't been sold .

My Question is this .

Will I have to pay capital gains tax on the £20 from her brother transferring the money to me on her behalf ,or ,will I be ok .

I've read a few bits about a 18 month clause where I have been out of this house and would have to pay , but also seen items regarding my main residency.

Many thanks

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:33 am

You're selling your half share to her brother, so it's a disposal for CGT purposes, but subject to various reliefs.
See:https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual ... al/cg65375. Note, this is an illustration. The married/divorce part does not apply to you.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Dutton123

Postby Dutton123 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:46 am

Hi there

No I'm not selling my half to him , he's giving me what she owes me and then she's giving it him back

No contacts are being exchanged so I'm a little bit confused with the reply

Dutton123

Postby Dutton123 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:51 am

Plus I haven't bought a house I'm still renting

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:56 am

He's making a gift to you of £20k. You're not disposing of an asset, so no CGT liability. What stops you claiming a half share when the house is sold? Is anything in writing?

Dutton123

Postby Dutton123 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:00 pm

Absolutely nothing

But I'm not like that and I won't

But the point is valid so thank you for the reply

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:03 pm

But when she sells it, you will become liable to CGT on the disposal of your half even if you don't receive the proceeds.

Dutton123

Postby Dutton123 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:12 pm

If I don't receive the proceeds ?

Don't understand

So if she sells the house some where along the line , so if her brother gives me the £20k then I'll
Be taxable on the money if the house sells

Can you explain why please

Thankyou

Dutton123

Postby Dutton123 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Also

I thought gift tax was only up to £3000 a year

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”