This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Worthless QCBs

Brightonian
Worthless QCBs

Postby Brightonian » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:52 pm

My client sold his interest in a company in 2014/15 for a combination of upfront cash and deferred loan notes (QCBs). He is aware that he can make an election by 31 January 2017 to have the entire gain subject to Entrepreneurs Relief. However, it now seems that the company cannot redeem any more loan notes. If he makes the election, the entire gain will be taxed at 20%. If he does not make the election, it would seem that he will be taxed on the entire gain at 20%. However, I have read that, by concession, HMRC will not pursue the gain on the unredeemed loan notes if the worthless QCB is donated to charity. However, I cannot find this concession mentioned on HMRC's website and am worried about relying on it. Does anyone know anything about this matter please?

LozaACCS

Re: Worthless QCBs

Postby LozaACCS » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:08 pm

Your view is correct, see HMRC CG manual 66624 and TCGA 1992 S 257

Brightonian

Re: Worthless QCBs

Postby Brightonian » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:08 am

Thank you for confirming this.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”