This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Disclose Gains Below Annual Exempt Amount???

erictheone
Disclose Gains Below Annual Exempt Amount???

Postby erictheone » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:44 pm

Probably a very basic question for CGT experts here, but I'm struggling to find an answer on the HMRC websites:

If I have net capital gains in a given tax year, which in total fall below the annual exempt amount, do I still have to disclose on Self Assessment returns what those gains are (even though no tax will be due)?

Or do I just keep the calculation "on the back of an envelope" for my own reference, and disclose nothing on my tax return, as if I made no gains at all?

Thanks!

Peter D

Re: Disclose Gains Below Annual Exempt Amount???

Postby Peter D » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:31 am

It depends on the value of the asset you disposed of. If it was more then 4 times the CG Allowance ( £11,100 thus £44,400) then it has to be reported to HMRC. Regards Peter

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”