This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT non residents

kanrent
CGT non residents

Postby kanrent » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi i bought my home in 1987 lived there for 15 years as my only home, in 13 July 2002 i rented it out and went abroad to live on the 25 July 2002
I contacted HMRC to find out what the official date was that i became non resident they told me that i became non resident on the 6 December 2003 i have my original passport which shows that i left the country on 25 July 2002 and all the other country's stamps that prove i didn't spend more that 60 days in the uk in any one tax year since July 2002.
my question is when HMRC works out my capital gain will they use their official non resident date or can i dispute it by showing the dates in my passport to prove my absence from the uk
thanks for any help

maths

Re: CGT non residents

Postby maths » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:41 pm

It may not matter. As a non-resident any CGT charge on sale is in principle based on any gain from market value of the property as at 6 April 2015.

Depends upon the figures involved.

kanrent

Postby kanrent » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:46 pm

IM conserned about the year before I became non resident of they take it Frome their official date and not the date I actually left the uk

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:06 pm

From a CGT point of view it doesn't matter.

You are subject to CGT on the gain from 6 April 2015 (prior to that non-residents paid no CGT on disposals).
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”