This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Shares in Dissolved Company

Stats
Shares in Dissolved Company

Postby Stats » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:31 pm

This must affect other investors:

My nominee broker told me in 2014 that a shareholding had been removed from my portfolio, explaining simply that they had become of no value but that HMRC had not yet listed them as of "negligible value". I duly used the route of selling them privately for £1 and reported the loss on my CGT return.

HMRC now dispute the loss on the basis that I should have been aware (although the nominee stockbroker said nothing) that the company had been dissolved 2 years earlier and, for that reason, the the loss is dis-allowable.

Any thoughts ?

RMC

Re: Shares in Dissolved Company

Postby RMC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:19 am

Report the loss as taking place 2 years earlier. It can be either set off against capital gains you've made then or gains made up to 4 years from the end of the tax year in question (probably 5.4.2020).

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”