This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT query - divorce transfer

SBUK
CGT query - divorce transfer

Postby SBUK » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:15 pm

I have transferred my share of a jointly held property to my ex husband post the year of separation.
The property was acquired for £183,000 and had increased to est. £350,000 on transfer. It was owned for 136 months. We lived there as our only residence for 43 months and it was rented out for the rest of the time.

I am completely confused about how to calculate the gain. I assumed I would calculate the total gain minus reliefs and split 50/50. I checked this with the tax office who stated it was correct. My ex husband is disputing this methodology. Can someone confirm the correct calculation here?

maths

Re: CGT query - divorce transfer

Postby maths » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:54 pm

I assume that the property was your sole residence initially and then it was let out thereafter and you transferred your (50%?) to him at a time when the property was let out and in a tax year after the tax year of separation.

The assumption is that your 50% was transferred at market value i.e. 50% of £350k i.e. £175k (possibly with a 10% discount).

Assume £175k less 92k (50% of cost).

Gain equals 83k.

Residence relief [43 + 18}/136 x 83k = 37,228
Lettings relief 37,228

Gain 83k - 37,228 - 37,228 = 8,544.

Less annual exemption say 11,000

Taxable gain NIL.

I would be inclined to ask your ex for his computation as to what he feels is your CGT liability before disclosing your view.

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:56 pm

It is really irrelevant what your husband thinks as unless he has sold the property he will have no current CGT liability and of course your gain is on your 50% only. His Cgt calculation will be calculated according to his disposal of the Property whoever that happens.
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:01 pm

The only question that could affect him is the market value of th 50% transferred to him as it would be relevant for his future disposal calculations.
As maths says the market value of your 50% could be depressed as your husband being in occupation or more correctly interested could affect the saleability of the property in a negative way.

maths

Postby maths » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:30 pm

Maybe under divorce settlement husband has to pay or contribute to ex wife’s CGT liability??

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:07 pm

Maths - agreed with your comments but is he sensible in arguing for another method of calculation and he presumably knows better than HMRC and people like us who have some experience in dealing with main residence etc relief. Nae wonder there was a divorce

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”