This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT liaability

mill
CGT liaability

Postby mill » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:41 pm

My uncle and I bought a flat together about 4 years ago. This is the only property we own and it is therefore our primary home. Should we sell it we have been informed that it is therefore exempt from any capital gains tax on its substantial increase in value
My uncle is moving to the United States permanently. He therefore wishes to gift me his half of the flat. Given the situation, am I correct in assuming he will not incur any Capital gains tax if he makes me the gift.

bd6759

Re: CGT liaability

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:22 am

Do you both live in the flat?

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:45 am

You also need to consider inheritance tax depending on the value of the flat and his estate generally.

mill

Postby mill » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:50 am

Thank you both

I response to bd6759 we have both lived in the flat since our original purchase.

If there is no UK CGT liability resulting from the transfer to me, then we would like to process the transfer prior to my uncles departure for the United States to avoid any future involvement of the IRS once he becomes a US taxpayer.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”