This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Holdover relief on charge over property

27Spots
Holdover relief on charge over property

Postby 27Spots » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:27 am

Hi,
Can anyone advise whether holdover relief is available on a charge over property?

Trust holds charge over property, trustees now want to appoint property out to beneficiaries by cancelling the charge. Is the cancellation of the charge a "gift" for holdover relief and if so, how is it valued and is the base cost of the property then reduced by the resulting gain? There is nothing else so set the gain against for holdover purposes so assume, if indeed holdover relief is available, then it must be...

My thoughts are that there should be holdover relief "There is no restriction as to the type of asset which may qualify for deferral so long as an IHT charge arises on the gift". The charge is certainly an asset held by the trust...but what's stopping me thinking holdover is available is what is the gain being heldover against?!

Many thanks for any thoughts!

maths

Re: Holdover relief on charge over property

Postby maths » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Not sure i understand what's happening.

However, the disposal of a debt/loan is an exempt transaction for CGT (as it is unlikely to be a debt on a security).

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”