This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Issuing shares to a collaborator

Incredulum
Issuing shares to a collaborator

Postby Incredulum » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:44 pm

Mr A owns a company X Limited. X is in the building construction industry and has been trading a couple of years. It has cash of 100k and receivables/debtors of 200k, and share capital of 1 share of £1, base cost is £1.

Mr B is going to take a share of the company (Mr B has been sourcing the work). The shares are going to be held by his company B Limited.

Also, Mr A wants to interpose a holding company, A Limited so he can extract value from the company so it doesn't matter if it's sued.

This is a standard exam-type question, but it's years since I've done one, so I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

1. X Limited issues 59 shares to Mr A, and 40 shares to B Limited. The value shifting rules make this a disposal by Mr A, market value applying. He can claim hold-over relief through s165 TCGA. What does he put in the 'description of asset' box on the tax return?

2. A Limited now issues shares to Mr A in consideration for his shares in X Limited. s135 TCGA should apply here. Doesn't seem any need to apply for clearance, but would you?

Any thoughts, please? It worried me that doing step 2 before step 1 - i.e. interposing the holding company prior to issuing shares to B Limited - might make s135 tricky.

The plan is for dividends to be paid, as well as salary to Mr A. Any issue with a management fee being paid to A Limited? Or B Limited? Or are we better with alphabet stock and declaring different dividends to the two of them - which would be reflecting their different contributions to projects.

Thanks.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”