This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Kuerig Dr Pepper special dividend uk tax treatment

estateexec
Kuerig Dr Pepper special dividend uk tax treatment

Postby estateexec » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:29 pm

Earlier this year I received the special cash dividend from the Dr Pepper Snapple / Keurig merger at $103.75 per share. Being a cash dividend I thought this would be taxed as UK Income on my 2018/19 tax return. However, I have just received a US Tax Return document via Computershare that splits the payment between Gross Income classified as Return of Capital and Gross Income classified as Dividend Income. I have also found reference to the $103.75 per share figure actually being $29.50 dividend and $74.25 Capital.
Could anyone advise what I need to put on my tax return. It now appears the dividend income is only the $29.50 per share element, but I have not sold any of my shares so do I still need to report the return of capital element as capital gains made in the tax year? Many Thanks

pawncob

Re: Kuerig Dr Pepper special dividend uk tax treatment

Postby pawncob » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:51 pm

Read this ( and other bits)
https://investors.keurigdrpepper.com/2018-06-26-Dr-Pepper-Snapple-Group-Sets-Record-Date-for-Special-Dividend-Contemplated-by-Keurig-Transaction-and-Provides-Estimated-Earnings-and-Profits

A return of capital is usually treated as a reduction in cost (but only up to 5%) so the gain is taxable in the UK.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

estateexec

Postby estateexec » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:09 am

Thank you "pawncob" for your reply.
As I still have the same number of shares (but at a reduced value), can I defer reporting the capital gain until I sell the shareholding?
If not, would I have to use the "part disposal" HMRC rules for calculating the capital gain generated by this unrequested return of capital?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:48 pm

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg57826

You've received the money so now you must pay the tax due.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:10 pm

As of today Pepper has changed the dividend to $29.50 per share and you should have received a tax rebate.

AlanJD

Postby AlanJD » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:44 pm

pawncob said 'As of today Pepper has changed the dividend to $29.50 per share and you should have received a tax rebate'

I don't understand this. The payment last summer was partly untaxed capital and partly 29.5 USD less withholding tax so surely nothing has changed.

Has anyone done any calcs on how the acquisition cost gets split between the repaid capital and the ongoing investment?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”