This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp Duty /Capital Gains / Property Gift Dilemma

Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:41 pm

Stamp Duty /Capital Gains / Property Gift Dilemma

Postby LondonJ » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:53 pm

I’ve been with my partner for eight years. She owns a shared property in London and I own a property in another location. Four years ago, her father passed away and left her the family home and a massive IHT bill. The house has sold this week and she wants to buy another property for us both to live in as our main residence.

My property was rented out two years ago but I moved up to London officially, three years ago to the inherited house so I could oversee the modernisation of it for sale. My partner moved in with me, leaving her other property with just her flat mate in it.

In a few weeks time, the new house will complete and our dilemma is this;

She wants to register me as a joint owner of the new house. Because I own another property, the STD increases for us by around £23,000 so approximately £48,000 will be due.

It’s a lot of money!

She’s thought about gifting me half the new house but what would the tax implications be for both of us?

The inherited house has been our main residence for three years. We don’t want to sell either of our other properties as they are our pensions really. All we want to do is finally have a place together that is ours.

It’s all so complicated!

Posts: 888
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Re: Stamp Duty /Capital Gains / Property Gift Dilemma

Postby AGoodman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm

Assuming your girlfriend is relying on the replacement provisions, there is no mortgage and you are not paying anything for the new property, the only tax implication should be an IHT risk, which i suspect you can discount.

You should not immediately register the new property in joint names. She should buy as sole owner and later transfer into joint names.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”