This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

EIS deferral relief on shares acquired in a staggered fashion

taxistaxing
EIS deferral relief on shares acquired in a staggered fashion

Postby taxistaxing » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:53 pm

Hi,

I have invested in some EIS and, in addition to claiming income tax relief, would like to defer a capital gain.

The gain arose from a disposal of shares when the company was unexpectedly bought out. I had bought the shares in three lots over a period of time.

I have already filed a return for the tax year of the disposal so need to use the paper EIS claim form.

Two questions:

(1) For EIS deferral relief, the claim form provides space for three separate assets, each with a single date of acquisition. How should I complete this for my shares which were acquired in a staggered fashion? I think it would be appropriate to put them down as a single asset as this is what they were, and because the CGT calculation was based on the average price of purchase across the three acquisitions - but then I cannot give a single date of acquisition.

(2) Q1 is principally about some EIS claim forms which I am hoping to submit soon. However, I have previously submitted some claim forms for income tax relief only, and have just become aware that I could also have used these for deferring CGT on the above gain (the investments occurred in the correct timeframe). Have I missed the boat for using these investments to claim CGT deferral relief, or can I submit an additional claim for CGT deferral relief, having already submitted a claim for income tax relief?

Many thanks for your help. I've read HS297 and parts of VCM23000 but could not really find an answer!

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”