This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

About CGT

divergo91
About CGT

Postby divergo91 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:41 pm

Hello there please i need someone more competent than me to explain me some things about capital gain tax , basically last year i made by December from cryptocurrencies around 17 000 eur but by 31 of martch i had only 2 000 so when i am doing a tax return do i need to pay tax on the 17 000 or on 2000 ? Or more easy said if i am trading all year on the stock market and i made some profit but at the end of the year i am on loss do i own tax to HMRC or ?

darthblingbling

Re: About CGT

Postby darthblingbling » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:02 am

Whatever the gain is when you sold/disposed of the cryptocurrency.

Note if this is a trade for you then it may be subject to income tax and not CGT.

AGoodman

Re: About CGT

Postby AGoodman » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:38 am

Unless you are making a high volume of trades, this will usually be treated as investment activity - so gains/losses.

You need to work out the gain/loss in GBP on each individual disposal, just as you would with shares. The net position will be your chargeable gain for the year, which is subject to the annual allowance.

If you haven't already, time to learn about spreadsheets.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”