This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT and PPR

BM2019
CGT and PPR

Postby BM2019 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:30 am

Hello all
We are considering purchasing a flat and the only ones we can afford will need some work on them. We have been in the UK for 18 years but due to some family commitments in Australia may need to relocate within the next 2 years. I’m hesitant to go ahead and buy something in the UK if I’m then going to be hit with CGT if we have to relocate after 12 months. I’m also keen to get life settled in London in case we don’t have to relocate. Can someone tell me if there is a timeframe that you have to have lived in your PPR to show this and not be hit up for CGT.
Thanks In advance

maths

Re: CGT and PPR

Postby maths » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:32 pm

There are no rules setting out minimum periods of occupation to avoid a CGT charge on a future disposal.

In practical terms if you purchase and you/family move in and it's your only property, any gain on a future sale will be free of CGT.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”