This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Possible recovery of CGT against investment loss

Mikezoe65
Possible recovery of CGT against investment loss

Postby Mikezoe65 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:50 pm

In the last tax year I sold a house I had never lived in and paid £33K in CGT. I then invested £25k in an LCF (London Capital & Finance) mini-bond but the company has recently gone into administration and I am likely to get back c £5k only. Is there any mileage in trying to reclaim my potential investment loss of £20k against the property CGT when the dust settles?

AGoodman

Re: Possible recovery of CGT against investment loss

Postby AGoodman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:30 pm

Doubtful. Losses can only be brought forwards so cannot be set against gains incurred in earlier tax years.

Mikezoe65

Postby Mikezoe65 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:56 pm

That’s a bummer! Can anyone think of a similar situation with an outcome which might give me hope of setting a recent capital loss against an earlier and taxed ca-ital gain?

maths

Postby maths » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Yes, if you die in the tax year in which a loss arises you can then carry it back for offset against some earlier tax year gains !!

Is the loss worth dying for??

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”