This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Help! Made too much money on stocks!

gman2019
Help! Made too much money on stocks!

Postby gman2019 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:05 pm

Just realised my profit from selling shares (mostly in Q4 2018) exceeds significantly the annual capital gain tax allowance for tax year 2018/19. Do the tax rules allow me to buy some of the shares back tomorrow (4 April 2019) such that the profits made in Q4 2018 do not count towards the capital gain tax cacluations?

pawncob

Re: Help! Made too much money on stocks!

Postby pawncob » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:56 pm

I think you need to reconsider your profit situation as you have little knowledge of CGT rules.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Jholm

Re: Help! Made too much money on stocks!

Postby Jholm » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:09 am

There are provisions in place to stop that. How much in excess are you talking? The tax rates are only 10/20% depending on your other income.

Have a look at the share matching rules on HMRC's website as the gains/losses you think have made may not always be in line with those of the tax position.

You could sell some loss-making shares I guess, but not necessarily wise....

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”