This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on house sale

Rocksounds
CGT on house sale

Postby Rocksounds » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:42 am

I wonder if anyone can help on a CGT query. I has divorced 18 years ago and as my two children continued to live with me I was allowed to stay in the marital home until the youngest reached 18. I continued to pay the mortgage (now completed) and as both children have now left home my ex-wife wants the property sold. The value of the house is £ 200,00, and the proceeds will have to be split 50/50, as per the court agreement. My share of the sale will not be enough to buy another property, and as i am now a pensioner a mortgage will be out of the question. I will have no option other to rent in the private sector. I suppose my question is simply will i have to pay CGT on my share of the sale, the house was originally purchased 30 years ago for £60,000.
I would be grateful if anyone could give me advice, many thanks.

Jholm

Re: CGT on house sale

Postby Jholm » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:55 am

Based on the info provided, there will be a chargeable gain. However, it sounds like all would be covered by PPR (Principle private residence) relief.

To check this, you need to provide a timeline of occupancy from acquisition through to sale. The relief is the chargeable gain multiplied by (years occupied / years owned).

If it's any kind of consolation, you ex-wife will most likely not get this relief in its' fullness since she has not lived in the property throughout.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”