This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT and reliefs on sale of former home

greenjersey
CGT and reliefs on sale of former home

Postby greenjersey » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:10 pm

Hi, I bought a property in April 2011 for £250,000 and lived in it for 26 months. I then let the property until I sold it after total of 85 months ownership for £310,000. In the unlikely event that I understand the rules correctly I think I add 18 months to the 26 to calculate the Private Residence Relief? I presume I then deduct the 18 months from the let period to calculate the Letting Relief. If this is correct I don't believe I will have a CGtax liability but we then come to the next question, How the hell do I report this calculation to HMRC? Form SA108 seems short of boxes! Box 4 "disposal proceeds", Do I deduct all the selling costs from that figure? Then Box 5, I presume I add stamp duty and all the other costs to the purchase price? I then put LET in Box 8 but where do I show the PRR and Lettings Relief I have calculated?
As you can see I am struggling, any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

maths

Re: CGT and reliefs on sale of former home

Postby maths » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:07 pm

All is set out in the Notes found at:

www.gov.uk/government/publications/self-assessment-capital-gains-summary-sa108

The Notes include computation pages to be filled in and indicates relevant costs etc.

On your figures there is no CGT to pay:

Gain 60,000 (ignoring costs)

Private residence relief: 44/85 x 60,000 = 31,000
Lettings relief: 41/85 x 60,000 = 29,000

Gain: Zero.

greenjersey

Re: CGT and reliefs on sale of former home

Postby greenjersey » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:20 pm

Hi, Thanks Maths, that is a great help. I have now done the calculation taking account of the costs of acquisition and disposal amounting to £8911 and I am still left with a net gain of nil. Is that what you would expect?
Thanks again.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”