This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving to Canada - Entrepreneurs Relief on UK business

Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:16 am

Moving to Canada - Entrepreneurs Relief on UK business

Postby Nolan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:26 am


I'm a Canadian citizen returning to Canada after nearly 14 years living in the UK. I have a limited company in the UK with profits that I want to liquidate using entrepreneurs relief. I am moving at the end of this month and setting up a limited company in Canada which I believe means I become a resident from a tax standpoint. My main concern is that I don't want to pay Canadian capital gains tax, as I believe this is higher than the UK entrepreneur relief amount of 10%. I've not yet initiated the process to wind up my company. Can anyone advise on the best way to move to Canada but windup my business in the UK with the best tax relief? Or point me to an accountant that can?

Many thanks

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”