This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on rented property with Charges due on disposal

strong
CGT on rented property with Charges due on disposal

Postby strong » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:53 pm

I am selling a rental property for £380k bought in my name in 2014 for £300k. It was always intended to be a family asset (evidenced by family emails) but it took until 2016 to put a charge on the deeds for 2 other relatives, stating that in the event that it must be sold, they would each be due a third of the value 'after all costs'. This took 2/3 of the value out of my estate for IHT and reassured them of their share of the asset. In the meantime I have paid all maintenance costs and income tax on the rent.
Who now pays CGT on what share? There is an overall capital gain of £60k after purchasing costs. I will only receive a third of the proceeds of the sale although I did pay for the entire property + costs in 2014.

pawncob

Re: CGT on rented property with Charges due on disposal

Postby pawncob » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:20 am

I would assume that the deed of gift is dated, and the ownership follows from that.

(Assuming there was a deed of gift......................................)
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

maths

Postby maths » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:57 pm

I'm afraid your post is somewhat contradictory.

It is in particular unclear whether each of your two relatives have each acquired a beneficial in the asset or whether you have retained beneficial ownership and have simply agreed that on a sale you will share out the proceeds.

The CGT consequences will be different.

strong

Postby strong » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:04 pm

Initially I retained beneficial ownership but have shared rental income and costs with the other two parties since April 2018. I agreed to share out the proceeds of the sale of the property in 2016.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”