This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Dual Dwelling under a single title

KEVL
Dual Dwelling under a single title

Postby KEVL » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:57 am

I recently moved House, I’ve just had a letter from a Solicitors in London suggesting we may have a case for Dual Dwellings on our property ( under a single title ) in which case we stand for a Stamp Duty Refund. Can I pls ask if you’ve ever come across this and if your aware of any downfalls later down the line if the Property is classed as a Dual Dwelling and if it’s also likely we could get penalized for Capital Gains TAX if we ever sell with the Dual Dwelling title ?

billypiper

Re: Dual Dwelling under a single title

Postby billypiper » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:12 pm

Dual Dwelling relief is more commonly known as multiple dwelling relief.

a dwelling is “a building or part of a building which is suitable for use as a single dwelling or is in the process of being constructed or adapted for such use”.

So does your new property consist of one or more dwellings.

|If so your solicitor should have asked you before paying the stamp duty although this can be reclaimed

Dennis

KEVL

Postby KEVL » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi

My property is currently a single dwelling but when you look at the house layout we could propose a dual dwelling on the basis will all under one roof but we could request dual dwelling based on the layout as we could propose the 2nd dwelling can have a separate entrance, bathroom, bedroom and a make shift kitchen. The original Solicitors wouldn't have requested as the property is just one house but the 2nd Solicitors have picked up on the fact a claim could be made due to the layout.

billypiper

Postby billypiper » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:43 pm

So the second dwelling would be charged to CGT on the eventual selling of the house.

Plus with all the legal issues changing on tenancy, you may wish to take the hit now on the basis that it would make life simpler.

Even if you did not rent it out then CGT will apply.

KEVL

Postby KEVL » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:29 pm

As I thought, many thanks for the advise

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Wed May 01, 2019 2:55 pm

and just because it could be split into two dwellings does not mean that it is two dwellings.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”