This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT selling BTL

JOHN1958
CGT selling BTL

Postby JOHN1958 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:05 pm

I've been receiving rental income from my flat for 10 years having lived in it only the first 2 (I bought it to live in it 12 years ago). During the 10 years I've been living as a tenant myself.

I now want to sell but i am worried that it will be uneconomical to sell in order to buy my own home once CGT is paid to HMRC.

I hear that CGT can be minimised if i live in the property as my principle home 18 months before selling it, is this true?

pawncob

Re: CGT selling BTL

Postby pawncob » Mon May 06, 2019 9:53 pm

No. PPR relief is time apportioned over the total period of ownership. Your claim would be 24/138 of the gain (approx)
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”