This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on Property - deductible costs

lambertos
CGT on Property - deductible costs

Postby lambertos » Mon May 20, 2019 3:38 pm

Over 16 years ago my mother gifted me £40k from the sale of her home that I agreed to use towards buying a flat in my name for her to live in. There was a proviso to the gift that I was to give my brother £20k from the sale proceeds of the flat. This agreement was reached as my brother was unwilling to finance half of the remaining purchase price of the property, but the £20k was his share of the potential inheritance that had been reduced by the £40k gift to me. She has now passed away and the flat has been sold and I have given my brother £20k of the proceeds. Is that £20k deductible from the gain I have made for Capital Gains Tax purposes as the net proceeds I have received from the sale are £20k less than the actual gain?

Jholm

Re: CGT on Property - deductible costs

Postby Jholm » Mon May 20, 2019 5:23 pm

No, otherwise capital gains tax would be entirely redundant since people would create clauses saying the entire proceeds must go to x, y or z.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”