This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT liability after death of spouse.

Fordsabroad
CGT liability after death of spouse.

Postby Fordsabroad » Fri May 31, 2019 1:46 pm

I am currently in the process of selling a BTL property which I bought jointly with my wife in 2005 for £113000. Regrettably she died at the beginning of 2016 and ownership of all her estate was left to me in her will. How do I calculate the CGT due, do I calculate it as a sole gain on the whole period or do I pay 50% of the gain up until her death and the full gain on the value from 2016 until the sale.

bd6759

Re: CGT liability after death of spouse.

Postby bd6759 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:34 am

Your acquisition costs are:

1. Half of what was paid in 2006, plus
2. half of the value in 2016 when you inherited the other half.

birdsong

Re: CGT liability after death of spouse.

Postby birdsong » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:12 pm

There is a possible IHT liability against the deceased's estate , but the property passes at current market value on the death, so no CGT due

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”