This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Entrepreneurs Relief

tinpen2019
Entrepreneurs Relief

Postby tinpen2019 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:02 pm

Hi All

First post so hope my question is straightforward and easy to understand. I recently sold my business and enjoyed ER on the capital gain. I've been told I can defer the tax owed by investing in SEIS/ EIS qualifying businesses, is this correct?

Many thanks

Jholm

Re: Entrepreneurs Relief

Postby Jholm » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:11 am

Yes.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/enterprise-investment-scheme-and-capital-gains-tax-hs297-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs297-enterprise-investment-scheme-and-capital-gains-tax-2019

tinpen2019

Postby tinpen2019 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:32 am

Thanks

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:41 pm

This is a matter of taste but I would only go into SEIS/EIS if you are attracted to EIS on investment grounds or benefit from the income tax benefits as well.

Failing that, it seems unattractive to lock up your money in illiquid high risk investments to save 10% tax.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”