This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on House rented during part of ownership

oldjohn41
CGT on House rented during part of ownership

Postby oldjohn41 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:29 am

I lived in a house for 19 years, and then let it for 8 years. I now wish to sell it. I have studied HMRC's Helpsheet for Private Residence Relief (HS283). Nowhere does it seem to mention improvement costs on a property. I spent nearly the same amount again as the purchase price, on refurbishment, and in particular major extensions. Naturally I want to include these costs in the CGT calculation. Is that permissable?

bd6759

Re: CGT on House rented during part of ownership

Postby bd6759 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:17 pm

Have you read the SA108 notes

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/787347/sa108_notes_2019.pdf

oldjohn41

Re: CGT on House rented during part of ownership

Postby oldjohn41 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:42 pm

I have read SA108. But HS283 makes no mention of that, nor mentions allowable property improvement costs, so I was concerned that, for some reason, a property that had been improved while it was your main residence might be treated differently. However, I am now content that this can not be the case. Thanks for your reply.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”