This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Gains tax on inherited property

Holdy
Capital Gains tax on inherited property

Postby Holdy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:57 am

In 2014 I inherited a property, left to me 'upon trust', valued at £249,950 from mother. My stepfather lived in the bungalow and had a life interest in the property. 2018 he married someone else, moved her in and contested my mother's Will. After mediation, we reached an out of court settlement of £125,000 and he moved out recently.

I am in the process of selling the property for £285,000. I have been told I will have to pay CGC even though my stepfather walked away with half the inherited value. Is this correct? if so can I offset my selling fees, council tax and any repairs against CGC and I assume I get the CGC personal allowance. I am employed on PAYE earning £30k per annum.

jerome.lane

Re: Capital Gains tax on inherited property

Postby jerome.lane » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:59 am

Costs securing a legal right over an asset are generally allowable costs of disposal. I would suggest that you either inherited at probate value with an allowable cost of £125,000 plus any legal fees creating a loss of some £90k, or you inherited at £125k and have a circa £35k gain to pay CGT on. If you're married, you can maximise CGT annual exemptions by transferring half before sale. A review of the history and settlement by a professional should determine which approach is the one to adopt.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

maths

Postby maths » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:03 pm

It would seem that step father had an interest inn possession (iip) pursuant to mother's will with remainder to you on step-father's death.

Following mediation, step-father surrendered his iip for £125,000 and in principle precipitated a CGT charge on the trustees (but any gain should qualify for private residence relief (ie no actual CGT charge)). As remainderman, you acquired 100% of the property at market value at date iip terminated.

On sale you are exposed to a CGT charge on difference between this market value and the £285,000 (subject to private residence relief if you lived. in it).

Holdy

Postby Holdy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:32 pm

Thanks for your replies. So if I understand this correctly, he surrendered his iip on 2nd August and the property was valued at £300,000 a week later. I have accepted an offer of £285,000 so this gives me a loss of £15k, so no CGC to pay.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”