This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sale of Company and Cash Settlement

JB11
Sale of Company and Cash Settlement

Postby JB11 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:28 pm

Hi, a private company I owned shares in was recently sold in its entirety to a third party on a cash-free, debt-free basis. I received a payment of 20k on completion and then a further 3k in respect of the cash remaining in the business at the completion date. I understand the 20k I received will be subject to CGT but an unsure as to how the 3k I received from the cash remaining in the business should be treated - will this be subject to CGT or to income tax possibly based on dividend payment? Thanks.

AnthonyR

Re: Sale of Company and Cash Settlement

Postby AnthonyR » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:38 am

You'll need to find out where that cash came from and how it was accounted for.

It's likely that it was a dividend of all cash prior to sale to clear out the company bank account, but it's impossible to tell without more info so you'll need to speak to the directors/shareholders/lawyers to find out.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”