This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on former residence when no longer UK resident

anjela81
CGT on former residence when no longer UK resident

Postby anjela81 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi,

My husband and I bought a property in the UK in 2013 and lived there for 5 years until 2018. We now live in another rented property in the UK.
In a year or so, the plan is to move permanently away from the UK (to Australia). The idea is that we will sell the UK property once we have settled overseas, maybe in a 2-3 years. (Neither of us are UK citizens.)

I understand that there is private residence relief should we sell the property while living in the UK.
And I understand that CGT for non-residents is based on the property value at April 2015. I have made an assessment of the 2015 value from the Nationwide House Price Index calculator.

Just wondering if the standard private residence relief and the CGT allowance applicable to non-residents?
I have read through HMRC guidance but I seem to end up clicking around in circles.

I know we will need an accountant once we decide to make the sale - but just wanting to make an estimate of the likely CGT we'll be liable for.

Have I missed anything in relation to selling the property when resident overseas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

darthblingbling

Re: CGT on former residence when no longer UK resident

Postby darthblingbling » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:30 am

Annual exempt allowance is given to non residents.

PPR is calculated differently unless you elect to be taxed on the gain over the whole period.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”