This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on gifted property from spouse

walrusnick
CGT on gifted property from spouse

Postby walrusnick » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:06 pm

Hello

My wife has a BTL property in London, it has no mortgage, we're thinking of selling it and trying to reduce our CGT exposure.

She bought the property for £165k (1999) it's now worth about £600k (2020). If she gifts the whole property to me (Value at gift date £600k) and I sell it soon after being gifted the property, is it assumed that the purchase price is £165k (original purchase price from 1999) or £600k (price the property was gifted to me 2020). Am i exposed to the whole of my wifes CGT? or will I have no CGT because sale price will be very close to the value of the property at the date she gifted it to me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nick

carjaxx

Re: CGT on gifted property from spouse

Postby carjaxx » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:14 pm

Though no CGT is liable on the gift from your spouse to you, you acquire the base cost of 165k from her as well so her CGT ability becomes your liability. Whether this is advantageous depends on the individual circumstances surrounding your allowances and exemptions (such as whether it's your primary residence)

Disclaimer: I am not a tax professional, I just happened to read some articles relevant to your situation in trying to find an answer to my own. Searching the web for "CGT on a gift" will give more info

AGoodman

Re: CGT on gifted property from spouse

Postby AGoodman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:01 pm

Confirmed (am a tax professional)

You could consider her giving you a share by way of a declaration of trust. That would allow you to use both of your annual exemptions (saving about 28% * £3.4k = in tax) and if both are basic rate taxpayers would allow you to both use the remainder of your basic rate (18% vs 28%).

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”