This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT and insurance payouts

eggsnbacon
CGT and insurance payouts

Postby eggsnbacon » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:50 pm

Dear All,

I have recently sold a buy-to-let property and have to pay CGT on any profit. 18 months ago a tenant accidentally set fire to the property. After the fire, the property was worth much less than I bought it for. I spent £70,000 refurbishing the property and sold it for about £20,000 more than I bought it for.

(a) Am I right in thinking that I can deduct £70,000 as an expense from the CGT calculation?

(b) I was insured against fire, and received an indemnity of £70,000 from the insurance company. Does that change the calculation? Am I obliged to pay CGT on any monetary increase obtained as a result of my purchasing an insurance policy for my benefit? (My gut feeling is that, since I paid the insurance premium, I should get the benefit, not HMRC.)

Thanks in advance.

wamstax

Re: CGT and insurance payouts

Postby wamstax » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:27 am

As you didn’t pay the costs of refurbishment it being covered by the insurance payout the answer is a lemon. You can claim the costs of refurbishment but must reduce the expenses by the amount of the insurance recovery
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

eggsnbacon

Re: CGT and insurance payouts

Postby eggsnbacon » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:38 pm

That is disappointing, but thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”