This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC and share valuations

Feedback
HMRC and share valuations

Postby Feedback » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:32 pm

HMRC like to apply discounts to share valuations due to perceived lack of control of the taxpayer, where the shares held are less than say 50%. this does seem ludicrous as family businesses tend to be bought and sold as one rather than in part.

the issue is around a trust that acquired some shares in the early 1990s, then disposed of the shares a few years ago. The shares held by trust were sold along with the remaining shares held by the family members i.e. the company was sold in its entirety.

HMRC have argued that the early 1990s valuation should be subject to a discount because the trust held less than 20%, despite the trust and the family members directly owning 100% of the share capital.

I've looked at the statutory hypothesis (IRC v Gray) and it makes no mention of applying a discount, only that buyers and sellers need to be at arms length.

i'm after thoughts on how to approach this?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”