This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cost of borrowing as deductible expense

eggsnbacon
Cost of borrowing as deductible expense

Postby eggsnbacon » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:56 pm

Three questions:

1) If I spend £20,000 on interest payments on a loan to buy a property, can I include that £20,000 as a deductible expense when calculating CGT?

2) If I spend £10,000 on interest payments on a loan to refurbish the property, can I include that as a deductible expense when calculating CGT?

3) What is/are the statutory provision(s) dealing with either or both of the above?

Many thanks you in advance.

darthblingbling

Re: Cost of borrowing as deductible expense

Postby darthblingbling » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:55 pm

No and no. Somewhere in ITTOIA 2005

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:38 pm

Legislation doesn't deal with negatives so it won't state that a non deductible item is non deductible, anymore than it would state that feeding the cat is deductible.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

maths

Postby maths » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 pm

At its simplest, capital gains tax is a tax levied on gains on disposals of assets of a "capital" nature.

TCGA 1992 sets out the relevant provisions relating to capital gains. TCGA 1992 s38 may be worth a look. Nowhere are items of interest to which you refer authorised as deductions in calculating capital gains.

Interest may be deductible as a revenue expense in ascertaining an individual's liability to income (not capital gains) tax.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:16 am

Legislation doesn't deal with negatives so it won't state that a non deductible item is non deductible, anymore than it would state that feeding the cat is deductible.
s38 TCGA specifically states that interest is not deductible.

jerome.lane

Postby jerome.lane » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:20 pm

The legislation is at:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/12/section/38/enacted

The HMRC interpretation clarifying the interest point is at:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg15284

You have to be careful with refurbishment costs, as they do not always increase the capital value and such costs would therefore not be allowable enhancement expenditure.

If a company incurred capital enhancement expenditure funded by debt, then those interest costs could be allowable. There's nowhere to go for natural persons to get interest relief on property gains unless they're within the income tax regime (i.e. trading).

If you buy a property with a view to refurbishing and selling for a profit in a short space of time, then you are more likely to be within income tax treatment (especially if you repeat the process) and then your interest costs should be allowable.

You should take advice based on the full facts as the above is only general commentary on your queries and not specific advice.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:50 pm

s38 TCGA specifically states that interest is not deductible.
Oh for God's sake, I can't be expected to read everything :lol:
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Feedback

Postby Feedback » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:57 pm

anymore than it would state that feeding the cat is deductible.
what about zoos?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”