This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving to UK from NZ - CGT on sale of NZ home

Nickdugg
Moving to UK from NZ - CGT on sale of NZ home

Postby Nickdugg » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:54 pm

Hello,

I moved to NZ in 2012, and am considering moving back to the UK.

There is no capital gains tax in NZ.

If I sell my NZ home, will I have to pay any tax in the UK, CGT or otherwise if I transfer the monies to the UK to buy my principle/main home there?

maths

Re: Moving to UK from NZ - CGT on sale of NZ home

Postby maths » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:16 pm

If you are UK domiciled (ie basically British and have lived in the UK most of your life) then movement of monies is irrelevant to any UK CGT charge.

UK CGT will only be in point if you sell whilst UK resident although if your NZ property was your only home then no CGT charge would actually arise as it would be exempt.

I would be inclined to sell before you re-acquire UK residence then no UK problems.

Nickdugg

Re: Moving to UK from NZ - CGT on sale of NZ home

Postby Nickdugg » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:10 pm

Thanks very much for your reply, having read a few other sites and looked up UK Govt / HMRC guidance your reply confirms what I think is correct :D

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”