This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Any CGT reliefs available?

andy4851
Any CGT reliefs available?

Postby andy4851 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi

My research would not indicate there is much we can do on the following but please tell me otherwise if I am mistaken.

Husband owns the one share in limited company which has the trade of a take away shop in it.
Company paid £6,000 for the assets of a previous company which went under.
Company formed in Feb 19 and traded the month after.

Sale is looking likely at £275k - £120k fixtures/fittings/eqpt £155k business goodwill.

Plans are to buy two shop units with the proceeds from selling the business, either as the trade or as the shares of the company.

From my understanding:

1) Entrepreneurs Relief is out as the shares have not been held for 2 years
2) Business Asset Relief not viable if selling the shares in the company;
3) Could you get BAR on the asset element of the sale for the equipment as partial relief?
4) Can I add my wife and kids on to the company ownership so we each get the annual allowance and also more of the gain would be covered in the basic rate band?

Thank you ever so much for any help

Andy

billypiper

Re: Any CGT reliefs available?

Postby billypiper » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:19 pm

Someones done very well to do that in 1 year. There must be a reason

The issue of splitting the gain within the family is in my opinion too aggressive and only for tax purposes. Although putting the share into joint names with the spouse is ok.

No roll over relief if selling shares

andy4851

Postby andy4851 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:36 pm

Thanks very much for the reply.

If we sold the trade from the company but not the shares, could we do a partial roll over taking the disposal as £120k assets and £155k goodwill and getting rollover on the asset portion of the disposal?

I could be confusing the issue somewhat though.

Thanks again

billypiper

Postby billypiper » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:35 pm

You need to acquire something to roll it over into

The shops wont qualify

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:53 pm

You need to acquire something to roll it over into

The shops wont qualify
The trade, assets and goodwill belong to the company, not the shareholders. The shareholders will not have made a disposal liable to CGT.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”