This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT 30 day form

rbk123
Re: CGT 30 day form

Postby rbk123 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:05 am

I am trying to report NRCGT for a property in the UK disposed of last week. When I follow the links, and log in using my Government Gateway ID it says says "sorry we are experiencing technical difficulties". I have reported this to them and asked for help and they have sent me a link which takes me to exactly the same place. I have searched HMRC for NRCGT and have found 106 entries, none of which seem to cover a disposal after 6 April 2020. I found a form here www.tax.service.gov.uk/shortforms/form/NRCGT_Return but it clearly states it is not to be used for later disposals " You should use the Capital Gains Tax UK Property Disposals service found on gov.uk If I follow this link it eventually takes me back to where I was. That is the "experiencing technical difficulties" page. Given the 30 days clock is already ticking, how do I go about reporting this for NRCGT purposes. I don't owe any tax. Having already taken on HMRC over NRCGT and the huge fines they imposed which were written off by the First Tier Tribunal, I am not sure my blood pressure can take another 20 month battle with HMRC over a tax where I owe nothing! Can anyone help?

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:09 pm

Just an update on this, after finally getting on line to file the various additional returns last month I warned the client to expect penalties. As expected the 9x £100 penalties for the late filing arrived with the client 3 weeks later (although issued the day after submission - it still seems that HMRC letters despite being issued automatically still take weeks to leave the print room).

To rub salt into the wound, yesterday I received a letter dated 16 November saying 'thank you for your letters of June and September (my chaser), sorry for the delay in replying' and enclosing the paper forms that are now completely redundant. I've enclosed a copy of their letter in my penalty appeal to highlight the irony.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

etf

Postby etf » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:18 am

Don't hold your breath Anthony when waiting for an appeal response:

iii) We have reduced resource in our offices due to the current coronavirus
measures in place, and the resource that would normally be dealing with
processing of appeals is supporting priority demands across the department. For
this reason, we cannot answer this question.

It is seemingly reasonable to churn the penalties out automatically, but not to respond on a timely basis to resulting appeals:

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”