This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Income tax relief on negligible value claim

Matt2008
Income tax relief on negligible value claim

Postby Matt2008 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:22 am

Hi there - just a query as to negligible value relief. I lost some money on Carillion shares. I checked with my accountant as to whether I can claim income tax relief on the capital loss. My accountant has stated that this is only available if shares were "subscribed for" - i.e. granted on the initial offering of the company. So in other words income tax relief for negligible value will not be available. Please can anyone confirm if this is correct? I have seen some contradictory statements about this

maths

Re: Income tax relief on negligible value claim

Postby maths » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:30 pm

Basically, accountant is correct.

For income tax relief re the capital loss arising from the claim see ITA 2007 s 131 (see alsoTCGA 1992 s 24.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”