This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Selling USA shares, holding USD, calculating gains?

TechTaylor
Selling USA shares, holding USD, calculating gains?

Postby TechTaylor » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:13 pm

Hi all,

I'm selling the last of my shares in a company I co-founded in the USA. They're being sold to five other employees. Three have already transferred their funds, sale agreements were dated 29 March. Two haven't yet so will do next week (and their agreements will be dated 6 April, i.e. next tax year.)

Because of the volatility of the USD/GBP, I'm currently keeping the funds in USD (Transferwise), and will likely convert it when the rate is more favourable (as it was 10 days ago.)

How do I report my CGT on my self assessment?

I'm assuming I convert the three amounts already received to their GBP value as of 29 March, and put them on the 2019/20 return. Then next year, add the two other figures in GBP as of 6 April 2020, to the 2020/21 return.

If say I wait til the USD/GBP gives me say an extra £5000 on the conversion (for arguments sake I convert the funds on 1 September 2020 and get £5000 more GBP than I would have on the dates of the shares being sold) how do I report that gain in exchange?

Thanks!

maths

Re: Selling USA shares, holding USD, calculating gains?

Postby maths » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:50 pm

For UK CGT the gain is the difference between the £ cost at date of acquisition and £ value at date of disposal. Date of disposal is not date when $ received but date of sale contract (assuming. not conditional).

On a future exchange of $ into £ there are no CGT consequences as foreign currency bank accounts are no longer chargeable assets for CGT.

I assume you are UK resident and UK domiciled.

TechTaylor

Re: Selling USA shares, holding USD, calculating gains?

Postby TechTaylor » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:02 pm

Thank you, that's very useful to know. Yes I'm UK based.

Thanks again.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”