This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT

mill
CGT

Postby mill » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:30 am

Some years ago my sister and I purchased a house for the use of our parents who lived in it rent free. One parent has recently died and the other has moved into a care home. My sister would now like to move into the house and make it her permanent home.

I am prepared to gift my half to my sister but appreciate there will still be a CGT liability for me on the gift of my half. Is there any means by which this CGT can be kept to the minimum?

maths

Re: CGT

Postby maths » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:27 pm

You could gift your share in tranches over a number of tax years in order to use your annual CGT allowance to reduce taxable gain to nil.

Realise losses to offset against the gain.

rks2018

Postby rks2018 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:55 am

May I ask how this can be done? Thanks

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Wed May 06, 2020 2:58 pm

To stagger the transfer, you would need to assign a percentage of the beneficial interest in the property each year. This can be done by deed, reciting the original share and stating that A assigns x% to B leaving A with y% and B with z%.

The key is in the valuation (you want the value to be less than the annual exemption (just over £12k) for the year).

The problem comes if the value of the property increases by a large sum each year as it will take a very long time to transfer the whole share.

rks2018

Postby rks2018 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:33 am

Hope original poster does not mind me asking, how is it best to get valuations each year and is there any month in the year its best to do a %transfer by deed please?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”